Monday 9 January 2012

Stigma and trauma of live-in relationship

She: So you are living with your boy friend? 

Me: Yeah, since past four months

She: So its like.. you guys are like… husband and wife?

Me: Yes, kinda.. except that we are not legally married….yet.

She: Oh.. but other things.. you know what I mean.. like husband and wife?

Me: (stabs myself )


I never ever guessed living-in with a partner was so looked down in a place like Bangalore—This city which is known for its ultra modern crowd and mixed culture! Back in 2003 while we were doing graduation, I had lots of friends who used to stay with their  boyfriends (Even before co habitation was legalized). Two of our close friends stayed with their then girl friends-now wives respectively. And now since they have been promoted into the status of married couple, I sometimes feel left out.

When I decided to move in with John, it was indeed a tough decision. My mind played the ‘to be or not to be’ game for a long time. One moment I will make up my mind to stay back with parents, next second I knew, I can’t miss him anymore.  And after so many rounds of battling with my thoughts, social stigma, trauma of long distant relationship; I decided to live-in with him. 

There comes the problem of convincing parents. I must say my parents are not conservative but broad minded in almost all situations. But when it comes to staying with him before marriage, it was a no-no. So I was left with just one option—I lied to them. I said I am staying with a friend before packing my bags. And soon after reaching and getting engaged to John, I confided the truth in mom. And she being the most understanding person, actually supported me, to my surprise. 

But the worst was yet to come. When I joined the new office, everyone wanted to know about my whereabouts. “I am staying with my fiancé” was usually accepted by a ‘Oh!’ ‘Aha?’ and a sheepish grin. It looked all clandestine from their point of view. And trust me, I felt so awkward. And when it comes to guys, they took it more awkwardly. They reacted like I had done something really wrong that I owe them an apology! And then there is this naughty smile, nods and smirks when I discuss something about John. But as time went by, they got used to the fact and I am no more a subject of insult. 

Luckily, our neighbor is a great woman who seems to be fine with our co-habitation. She even asks me about our future plans for starting a family and all with utmost interest. And our house owner? Ah, I really don’t know. I still can’t decipher her expression even now. She sometimes looks at me scornfully, sometimes with hatred and sometimes with pity. Anyways, it is so disheartening. But to be frank, I am really relieved that my mom is with me in spite of all this.

Coming to the physical relationship part, people are still skeptical or are they interested? I am confused. I am sure that people imagine things in the weirdest way; I could find that from their smile and nods. Initially I used to feel embarrassed and felt like looked down when actually we have our own decisions regarding love making. Later I realized it’s no sin. And as long as I am with my man, I don't have to be scared of anyone.

Now, it’s just a matter of two weeks and we are going to be man and wife. Praying so hard for making our dream come true and escape from the scornful looks thereafter.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...